Charlie Carver ja Kala Brown. South Carolina, USA

Ulkomailla tapahtuneet selvitetyt tai vielä selvittämättömät henkirikokset
Tähtityttö
Armas Tammelin

Re: (U) Charlie Carver ja Kala Brown

Viesti Kirjoittaja Tähtityttö »

Ei tullut kuolemantuomiota, vaan seitsemän peräkkäistä elinkautista, koska Kohlhepp myönsi syyllisyytensä.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/n ... 340557001/
When Todd Kohlhepp stood in front of a judge Friday and pleaded guilty to killing seven people in the Upstate and chaining an Anderson woman in a storage container alive, the outcome of the hearing wasn't about giving him the punishment he deserved, the prosecutor said.

Instead of the death penalty, Kohlhepp, 46, received seven consecutive life sentences in prison, plus 60 more years for offenses including the kidnapping and sexual assault of his surviving victim, Anderson resident Kala Brown. The Greenville News and Anderson Independent Mail do not typically name victims of sexual assault, but Brown has openly spoken of her ordeal in a national television interview.

Moments after Judge Derham Cole sentenced Kohlhepp in a Spartanburg courtroom, Seventh Judicial Circuit Solicitor Barry Barnette said Kohlhepp deserved to be put to death.

"This was a death penalty case," Barnette said. "No doubt about it. But it is not fair for families to wait years and years for justice."

The solicitor agreed not to seek the death penalty in exchange for Kohlhepp's guilty plea. Brown and the families of the dead agreed with the decision. Barnette said he hopes the plea deal will give Kohlhepp's victims a measure of closure that South Carolina's death penalty is sometimes slow to deliver.

The last person who was executed in South Carolina was Jeffrey Motts, who died by lethal injection in 2011. Motts killed his cellmate, Charles Martin, at Perry Correctional Institution in Greenville County in 2005. Motts already was serving life in prison for two other killings at the time he strangled Martin.

The state's supply of lethal injection drugs expired shortly after Motts' death, Barnette said.

"Todd Kohlhepp deserves the death penalty, but the reality of the situation is that our state doesn't have a functioning death penalty," he said.

More: Kohlhepp driven by anger

More: How police used pings from a cell phone to find Kala Brown

There are 38 people on death row in South Carolina, and the oldest case dates back to 1983.

The family of Charles David Carver, the Anderson man who was Kohlhepp's last known victim, said the certainty that comes with Kohlhepp's life-in-prison sentence puts them one step closer to peace.

"I am a lot calmer now," said Joanne Shiflet, Carver's mother. "There is no apprehension. There is no what if. We know he is going away and going to stay gone."

A disturbing case

Kohlhepp, a real estate agent in the Upstate for more than a decade, was arrested last November after investigators searching his 95-acre property near Woodruff heard Brown banging on the metal storage container she was in and pleading for help.

Brown and her boyfriend, Carver, disappeared from their Anderson apartment Aug. 31 and had gone to Kohlhepp's land believing they would work to help him clean and clear it.

Brown's cellphone emitted a signal pinged on Kohlhepp's property up to two days after she was last seen, according to Anderson Police Chief Jim Stewart, whose agency was investigating the couple's disappearance.

After Brown was found alive, Kohlhepp led investigators to a shallow grave on the same land where Carver’s body was buried. He also showed investigators where he buried the bodies of husband and wife Johnny and Meagan Coxie, who disappeared from Spartanburg in December 2015.

Meagan Coxie was kept in a metal shipping container like the one Brown was in until Kohlhepp shot her in the back of the head about six days after he kidnapped her, Barnette said.

After Brown was found, she told investigators that Kohlhepp told her he killed four people in a motorcycle shop in 2003. Kohlhepp later confessed to the Superbike Motorsports killings in Chesnee. The murders of Superbike workers Scott Ponder, Beverly Guy, Brian Lucas and Chris Sherbert were unsolved until Kohlhepp confessed to them last fall.

Kohlhepp, 46, wore an orange jail jumpsuit and a chain around his waist as he stood in front of the judge in a crowded courtroom for the two hour hearing.

Kohlhepp, who used to take to social media to boast about himself, his knowledge of weapons and to post about sex, was demure in court. He said only "yes sir" as Cole read his charges and asked if he understood the penalties and what he was giving up by forgoing a trial.

In all, Kohlhepp pleaded guilty to seven counts of murder, four weapons charges, two counts of kidnapping and one count of criminal sexual conduct.

The judge told Kohlhepp: "The term life means ... until your death in the South Carolina Department of Corrections."

Brown, the lone survivor of Kohlhepp's recent crimes, did not attend Friday’s hearing. Her lawyers said she is dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder. Dozens of family members of Kohlhepp’s victims filled one side of the courtroom.

Kohlhepp stared straight ahead as, one by one, family members of his victims talked about what they had lost.

Melissa Ponder Brackman, widow of Scott Ponder, said her husband heard the heartbeat of their unborn son just two days before he was killed in 2003.

Through tears, she said: "There truly isn't justice when a victim is murdered. ... There is no closure."

Scott Ponder Jr., who just finished seventh grade, said, "I'm always going to wonder what it would have been like if my dad was here."

Cindy Coxie, Johnny's Coxie’s mother, called what Kohlhepp did "incomprehensible evil."

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright gathered with his team for a moment of prayer before the hearing. He also embraced the families before the hearing.

He thanked God for Friday's hearing, saying that it "answered a lot of prayers that went up for a lot of years."

His words were consistent for a man who publicly expressed his faith and thanked God after Kohlhepp confessed to the long-unsolved Superbike murders.

Before Kohlhepp was charged with murder last year, he bought and sold real estate in the Upstate for a decade, and many people never knew he already had a criminal history.

As a teen in Arizona, Kohlhepp was living with his biological father, William Sampsell, when Kohlhepp lured his 14-year-old neighbor away from home and raped her at gunpoint, according to police records.

He was tried as an adult and sentenced to 15 years in prison for felony kidnapping.

After his release, Kohlhepp moved to South Carolina and received his real estate license, working as a broker for a Spartanburg real estate company before starting his own real estate business, TKA Real Estate.

On Anoi Kaa
James Bond (George Lazenby)

Viesti Kirjoittaja On Anoi Kaa »

Syyttäjä julkaissut nyt videomateriaalia, sijoitan nimim. Kosmon loistavasta käännöstyöstä lainatun pätkän jälkeen, koska tähän sopii parhaiten.
kosmo kirjoitti: Järkyttävä löytö

Kun apulaisseriffit rikkoivat useat lukot jotka sulkivat Kohlheppin tilalla sijaitsevan kontin marraskuun kolmantena, he löysivät Kala Brownin ”kahlittuna kuin koiran” kaulastaan, sheriffi Wright sanoi. Hänellä oli myös kahle nilkassaan ja hänet oli lukittu metalliseen aitaukseen, joka näytti ”haihäkiltä” [”shark cage”].
https://youtu.be/H8-1Gnw6FOI
Ironiainjektio: Mitä enemmän injektiot, sitä enemmän infektoit (tuore tutkimus). Tästä syystä virustaudit ja syövät saavat usein vallan boostaamisen jälkeen. Olkaa viisaita ja pysähtykää hetkeksi.

stalkkeri
Hetty Wainthropp

Viesti Kirjoittaja stalkkeri »

En ole lukenut ketjua mutta kauanko tuo naikkonen on ollut kontissa ketjuissa ja miten on selvinnyt henkissä?

Naskali
Armas Tammelin

Viesti Kirjoittaja Naskali »

Kuinkahan Kalan toipuminen on edistynyt? Jättää kyllä elinikäiset arvet väkisinkin tuollainen. Kiitos teille ketkä olette näitä juttuja suomentaneet.
Olisi mielenkiintoinen lukea myös Kalan haastatteluja, jos joku vielä viitsisi suomentaa vaikka vain yhdenkin?

humma
Poliisikoira Rex

Re: Charlie Carver ja Kala Brown. South Carolina, USA

Viesti Kirjoittaja humma »

Just nyt ei ole aikaa suomentaa, mutta tässä jos joku ehtii ensin: http://people.com/crime/kala-brown-dr-phil-being-found/

Ilmeisesti Kala on selvinnyt olosuhteisiin nähden hyvin.
During her two-plus months in captivity last year, Kala Brown said she had a crucial realization: She could survive by feeding her captor’s affection for her.
“I had to stay alive in order to be found, and I realized that it was easier if he felt things were going his way,” Brown explained during an interview Tuesday on Dr. Phil, in her first media appearance since she was rescued in November.
“So I made him think whatever I had to to stay alive and to keep him from abusing me.”

Brown said her alleged abductor, Todd Kohlhepp, seemed “infatuated” with her, remarking on her beauty and intelligence. In the first part of her sit-down, on Monday, she claimed to host Phil McGraw how Kohlehpp allegedly shot her boyfriend in front of her on Aug. 31 before taking her prisoner on his nearly 100-acre property in Woodruff, South Carolina.
“I don’t think he wanted to kill me,” she said, adding, “He explained Stockholm Syndrome to me and told me that it would kick in and then we’d be happy together.”
In fact, Brown said, Kohlhepp allegedly described to her their fantasy future as he saw it.

“He was going to build a house on the property and I was going to have a soundproof room, and he’d let me have the run of the property eventually when he trusted me,” she said he told her. “He even said that he would let me go and give me some money if he ever got old and sick.”

All the while, Brown said, she did not dissuade Kohlhepp about their relationship — and the longer she stayed alive, the more confident she became.

“He didn’t want to kill me, he wanted to keep me,” she told McGraw as she recounted how she began talking back.
“I told him he would pay for what he did to people and that it took a coward to kill other people,” she said.
Brown said she didn’t fear retaliation, as she hadn’t done the few things that Kohlhepp allegedly warned would cause her death, like attempting to escape or hurt him.

“According to the stories he told me, I’d already been alive longer than anyone else, so … I believed [my strategy] was working,” she said.
Kohlhepp allegedly detailed other crimes to her — including abducting another woman — and bizarrely claimed to have been an international assassin for the government while previously incarcerated, she said.
“He would brag about how many people he’s killed, how good he was at it. … He said he was near the three-digit mark [in total victims],” Brown alleged on Dr. Phil. (Investigators do suspect Kohlhepp is a serial killer and have accused him of seven murders.)
Finally, on Nov. 3, Brown was saved: Authorities had been tipped off about a possible sex crime and were searching Kohlhepp’s property when they heard her banging and screaming for them from inside the storage container where she was kept.
She recalled the moment she was free on Dr. Phil.

“All I remember is it felt like a weight had been lifted,” she said, “and I was crying and they were holding me, and the sheriff prayed with me. A calm just washed over me. I was just there and I was free and I was just ready to get off that property.”
Kohlhepp was arrested soon after Brown was discovered and has been charged with kidnapping and murder, in connection with the deaths of Brown’s boyfriend and six others dating back to 2003. He has not entered a plea to his charges.
Brown, speaking out Tuesday, promised to recover from the trauma she endured.

“No matter what he did to me, he did not break me,” she said, “He could not destroy who I am, and I won. … He tried to crush me, but I’m not broken.”

kosmo
Susikoski

Viesti Kirjoittaja kosmo »

Ei ole tuo sama artikkeli kuin yllä humman linkittämä, mutta samasta Dr.Philin jaksosta Washington Postin artikkeli, jonka jaksoin kääntää. En kääntänyt viimeistä kappaletta, se käsitteli Kalan löytymistä, josta jo käännettyä, tarkempaa kuvailua löytyy edelliseltä sivulta + nyt julkaistu videomateriaali.

Tässä linkki alkuperäiseen artikkeliin. Kaikki käännösvirheet ym. allekirjoittaneen omia.

’Minä en ole murtunut’: Nainen, joka löydettiin kahlittuna metallikontista kuvailee pelastumistaan

Kala Brown muistaa Charlie Carverin ”ihanana persoonana”, hän sanoo - ihmisenä, joka ”eli elämänsä saadakseen muut hymyilemään”.

”Jos Charlie ei saanut jotakuta toista hymyilemään, hänen päivänsä ei ollut täydellinen”, Brown sanoi Dr. Philin haastattelussa. ”Hän vitsaili ja nauroi aina. Hän oli vain kerrassaan hyvin, hyvin erikoislaatuinen mies”.

Pariskunta oli ollut hyviä ystäviä noin vuoden verran ja sen jälkeen he olivat olleet parisuhteessa neljän-viiden kuukauden ajana. Brown sanoo heidän aikoneen jonain päivänä naimisiin.

Mutta myöhään elokuussa, Brown ja Carver katosivat mystisesti ja heidän perheensä ja ystävänsä huolestuivat.
Kuukausia myöhemmin, marraskuun alussa, viranomaiset löytäisivät ”selkeästi traumatisoituneen” Brownin lukittuna metallikontin sisältä Etelä-Carolinan maaseudulla sijaitsevalta tilalta. Etsivät tutkivat aluetta, jonka omisti mies nimeltä Todd Kohlhepp, ja myöhemmin löysivät matalasta haudasta myös Carverin ruumiin.

”Minä selviydyn tästä”, Brown sanoi haastaatelussa, jonka Associated Press kertoi olevan hänen ensimmäinen julkinen lausumansa pelastumisen jälkeen. ”Tulen aina ikävöimään Charlieta. Tulen aina miettimään millaista elämämme olisi voinut olla. Mutta sen mitä Todd minulle henkilökohtaisesti teki, en aio antaa sen miehen hallita elämääni.”

Dr. Philin haastattelussa Brown keskusteli asioista, joita muistaa sieppauksen ajalta kuten myös muistoistaan poikaystävänsä kuolemasta, jonka kertoo todistaneensa omin silmin.
Haastattelun aikana Brownilta kysyttiin mitä hän sanoisi nyt Kohlheppille joka vastaa useisiin syytteisiin oikeudessa. Tutkijat uskovat hänen syyllistyneen ainakin 7 ihmisen kuolemaan.
”Kertoisin hänelle vain, että mitä tahansa hän minulle tekikin, hän ei murtanut minua”, Brown vastasi. ”Hän ei voi tuhota sitä mitä olen. Ja minä voitin.”
”Sinä löit hänet”, McGraw sanoi.
”Hän yritti murskata minut”, Brown vastasi, ”mutta minä en murtunut.”

Brown sanoi haastattelussa, että hän sai kontaktin Kohlheppiin Facebookin kautta. Kohlhepp työskenteli kiinteistönvälitysalalla ja otti yhteyttä Browniin, joka etsi töitä ja tarjosi hänelle palkkaa talojen siivoamisesta. Brown teki neljä tai viisi keikkatyötä hänelle, kaikki yhdessä Carverin kanssa.
Brown kuvaili Kohlheppiä ”kivaksi” ensimmäisellä työkeikalla, jonka he tekivät - ”tavallisena bisnesmiehenä” joka ei käyttäytynyt asiattomasti. Hän myös muistaa päivän, jona hyökkäys tapahtui, jolloin hän kertoo myös Carverin tulleen ammutuksi.

Sinä päivänä, Brown muisteli, Kohlhepp kertoi pariskunnalle heidän leikkaavan aluskasvillisuutta. Hän antoi molemmille vesipullot ja oksasakset. Kolmikko oli lähdössä matkaan, mutta Kohlhepp ilmoittikin että hänen täytyi palata sisälle hakemaan jotain, Brown kertoi.

Kun Kohlhepp palasi, Brown sanoi, hänellä oli mukanaan ase.
”Seisoimme siinä ja katsoin ylös enkä tajunnut lainkaan mitä oli tapahtumassa”, Brown sanoi. ”Mutta hän käveli ulos ja hänellä oli ase kädessään ja hän aika pitkälti ampui Charlien ennen kuin pääsi kokonaan ulos ovesta [suomentaja olettaa että tässä puhutaan Kohlheppistä?]. Minä vain, minä ikäänkuin eksyin. En tiennyt mitä tapahtuu, en tiennyt mitä tehdä. Minä vain seisoin siinä.”

Brown sanoi että Charlieta ammuttiin rintaan useita kertoja. eikä Kohlhepp aluksi sanonut mitään ampumisen aikana.
”Ei aluksi”, hän sanoi, ”ei ennen kuin hän tarttui minuun ja käski minun tulla sisälle taloon tai muuten pääsisin Charlien seuraan.”
Brown kuvaili Kohlheppiä ”täydellisen rauhalliseksi” tuolla hetkellä, sanoen tämän laittaneen kätensä hänen kaulansa ympärille.
”Olin shokissa”, Brown sanoi, ”Minä vain menin. Hän veti minua mukaansa, kertoi että minun on tultava tai voisin liittyä Charlien seuraan. Ja minä vain menin. Olin tunnoton. En voinut ajatella. En vieläkään käsittänyt mitä oli tapahtunut.”

Brown sanoi tajunneensa, että hänen täytyi pysyä hengissä jotta hänet voitaisiin löytää.
”Ja tajusin sen olevan helpompaa jos hän ajattelisi asioiden sujuvan hänen tavallaan”, hän sanoi. ”Joten annoin hänen kuvitella mitä tahansa, jotta pysyisin hengissä ja pystyisin jotenkin estämään häntä hyväksikäyttämästä minua.”
Brown väittää haastattelussa Kohlheppin raiskanneen hänet vankeusaikana, mutta AP [Associated Press, oletan?] huomauttaa ettei Kohlheppiä syytetä seksuaalirikoksesta [sexual assault]. Sheriffin toimisto kieltäytyi sähköpostitse kommentoimasta asiaa.

-----

Pienenä kuriositeettinä lisättäköön että Googlehaulla löytyy heti official Kala Brown -nettisivu, jota kautta voi ottaa haastattelupyyntö- ym.asioissa yhteyttä. Lisäksi sivulla on mahdollista lahjoittaa rahaa Kala Brownin "uuden elämän rakentamista varten". Että eiköhän hänellä ole jonkin verran tarvetta traumaterapialle vielä monien vuosien päästä.

Itsestä tuo Dr.Phil haastattelu kuulostaa (luettuna) valitettavasti aika käsikirjoitetulta jenkkihöpölöpöltä. "Olen selviytyjä, hän ei kyennyt rikkomaan minua" on aika peruskauraa ja uppoaa kyllä yleisöön, valitettavan vähän puhetta oikeasti siitä mitä tuollainen massiivinen trauma oikeastaan tekee ihmisen elämälle.

Oman kokemuksen ja näkemyksen mukaan se kuitenkin nimenomaan hajottaa kaiken perustuksia myöten. Mutta mistäpä minä mitään tietäisin.

-kosmo

WalkingDisaster
Javier Pena

Viesti Kirjoittaja WalkingDisaster »

Frii -kanavalta tuli tänään dokkari tapauksesta (People Magazine Investigates). Uusintana 27.12 klo 1:55 ja 31.12 klo 00:45.
Kannattaa lukea myös lopputekstit, eli uhreja on 12. tunnustetun tapon/murhan lisäksi muitakin.

Dokkarissa on myös poliisin kuvaamaa materiaalia Kalan löytymisestä kontista ja Kalan haastattelusta heti löytämisen jälkeen. (Tuosta saattoi olla ketjussa jo aiemmin linkkiä, mutten nyt ehdi tarkistamaan)

originalnightstalker
Martin Riggs

Viesti Kirjoittaja originalnightstalker »

WalkingDisaster kirjoitti:Frii -kanavalta tuli tänään dokkari tapauksesta (People Magazine Investigates). Uusintana 27.12 klo 1:55 ja 31.12 klo 00:45.
Kannattaa lukea myös lopputekstit, eli uhreja on 12. tunnustetun tapon/murhan lisäksi muitakin.

Dokkarissa on myös poliisin kuvaamaa materiaalia Kalan löytymisestä kontista ja Kalan haastattelusta heti löytämisen jälkeen. (Tuosta saattoi olla ketjussa jo aiemmin linkkiä, mutten nyt ehdi tarkistamaan)
Tää tyyppi on tuomittu ja tunnustanu 7 murhaa. oli joku valopää suomentamas tota ohjelmaa ja suomensi sanan charge(syyte) tapoksi.
Lukiin tänää ni tää todd o tunnustanu että on murhannut ainaki 2 muuta uhria, syytteitä ei oo nostettu ja vähä vaikeeha niit o nostaa ku ei oo muuta ku tuo sekopään sana

Vastaa Viestiin